Sunday, June 23, 2013

Wedding Drama Saga: part 1

23 June 2013

Please forgive me as this is my first blog.  A lot has been unfolding with my wedding planning and it has gotten to the point where I need a creative outlet to avoid turning into a giant Japanese dinosaur and attacking the villagers of my nearby keep.  Many of these events, all true, are just too shocking or dumbfounding to just let slide.  Let me get you all caught up:

My super adorable fiance proposed to me on Christmas at my parent's house.  It was cute.  He had wrapped the ring in an old valentines day box I had created for him the previous year and then wrapped that in a box, then that box in a box etc until 5 boxes out.  Then, the final box (about the size of a microwave) he had duct taped free weights into the bottom so I would not be able to guess what was inside.  The whole unwrapping of the gift was very surreal and I was also battling a very nasty sinus infection.  Nonetheless, I ended up saying "yes" when he took the ring box and knelt down to my level (I was on the floor sitting rather like Smeagle from Lord of the Rings) and placed the ring on my finger.
Fast forward a bit, in January we began planning.  My parents opted to pay for our wedding which I was hoping to keep as simplified as possible.  I had initially wanted to elope, abandon all and head for the hills, but could not due to family politics surrounding my brother's wedding the previous year.  Here is the side story.  I need to take a moment to explain this as it will later crop up again....

Renaming to protect identity, Kermit and Deltona were arranging a time to go to the court house and have their marriage officiated there.  They set up times, dates, with my parents and with me.  We all made sure to keep those times clear. Initially, Kermit and Deltona had agreed to wait to go to the court house until the week after Super Bowl Sunday.  However, what ended up happening was my mother received a phone call the Friday before Super Bowl with an invite from an excited Deltona to join her, Kermit and her crazy Romanian mom at a local restaurant to "celebrate their marriage".  Yeah.  Disharmony.  Can you feel the tension building yet?  So, short notice we end up scraping together a small 'wedding reception' at my parent's house on Super Bowl Sunday in which we were informed that the newly weds 'may or may not even show up'.  I came to find out later that there was a lot of influence from Deltona's mom on this.  I really think that crazy woman did this on purpose to keep us out of the wedding since my parents refused to pay for a formal ceremony and reception because our family tradition is that the bride's parents pay.  Well, the bride refused to try and work anything out with my parents, dug her heels into the ground on the idea that we owed her a wedding.  And, like many issues with Deltona, she let it drop and refused to confront the issue within herself.

So, that is the wedding story of Kermit and Deltona. 

Back to my story - my parents having been shafted of witnessing the marriage of their first born son would have been deeply hurt if Mr. Adorable and I had eloped.  So we began planning what was to be a small wedding.  Everything went smoothly until I had to enlist bridesmaids.  I absolutely had to have my childhood friend who had/has stuck by me through all these years.  My best friend of over 10 years was a definite.  I would need her by my side to survive! I wanted to stop at 3 bridesmaids but was informed that I needed to have Deltona and my sister in law as bridesmaids.  I was not paying for the wedding so I could not decline this or object to it.  And it was "the right thing to do".  So, I ended up with 5 bridesmaids.
     With that settled I had to choose dresses everyone could agree upon.  After weeks of searching we all decided on the dress.  The downside was that this dress was sold by a Chinese company.  The upside was that the company was very reputable.  My maid of honor stepped up to the plate as "the Guinea Pig".  So, we shall call her 'GP' for the sake of this blog.  GP ordered a size 12.  She did not look at the size chart and assumed that size 12 was standard in measurement.  Weeks later, the dress came in.  It did not fit her.  So, I took it after discovering she did not size herself properly and gave it to one of the other bridesmaids to see if it would fit her (we shall call her M).  Well, M did not fit it either and she was a size 8 to 10.  Curious, I decided to try it on.  It almost fit me!!!! And I am a size 2!!!!!  So, I did battle with the company on behalf of my friend as they were not going to reimburse her at all.  In the end, she got her money back.
     Back at square one we shopped for dresses through David's Bridal.  I took the girls and let them try on what they could afford with their budget.  It worked out wonderfully and everyone looked great.  Most of the girls ordered their dresses on the spot.  Deltona told me she would order from home that night after budgeting with Kermit. 
     A few weeks went by and I was trying to find appropriate shoes for the girls.  The girls, afraid to order online and stuck on the concept of trying on the shoes and going shopping, ended up going through David's Bridal for these as well.  (I cant say all the girls were being sticks in the mud - it was just one or two).  This doubled the cost of the shoes.  But, they were paying so I wanted them to be comfortable with their choice.
     A few more weeks went by and it was delay upon procrastinated delay by Deltona in ordering her stuff.  The caution here was that it could take up to 10 weeks to order a dress and 5 weeks have to be allotted for any alterations that may be needed after it comes in!  My mom had to intercede (which is sad that apparently I do not register as being an 'adult' in her eyes).  But it got done.  Everything was ordered. 
    Join me next time for part 2 as I explain complications with booking our officiant and Deltona's request to renew her vows at my wedding!
   Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment